Many residents of Texas and Oklahoma were caught off-guard this week when deadly floods ravaged homes and businesses across both states. Our heartfelt sympathy goes out to those who have watched their buildings and belongings wash away. We have compiled some resources that we hope will be helpful to those home and business owners who have been adversely affected by the storms:
- Live flood updates from The Weather Channel
- Protecting your home during severe weather from FEMA
- Instructions for using flood insurance and finding an agent from the NFIP
- Water and flooding safety instructions from the FDA
- Requesting assistance and/or shelter, finding loved ones and donation instructions from the American Red Cross
- CDC emergency preparedness and response information
- Texas Division of Emergency Management severe weather awareness information and instructions
- Oklahoma Department of Emergency Management preparedness and response information
After the floodwaters have cleared, many families and businesses will be dealing with extensive rebuilding and repairs for months to come and that rebuilding will not come cheaply. According to FloodSmart.gov, floods are not only the nation’s #1 natural disaster but they are also extremely expensive stating that, “From 2008 to 2012, the average flood claim amounted to nearly $42,000.” According to Bruce Kabat, Chief Operations Officer at Adjusters International Colorado (with offices in both Texas and Oklahoma), the NFIP flood claim filing process can be extremely complicated, requiring an extensive level of detail regarding the scope of loss.
Our hearts go out to everyone who suffered as a result of this week’s tragic flooding in Texas and Oklahoma. We know that these storms have devastated properties throughout both states and that many residents will be faced with rebuilding their homes and businesses from the ground up. Our public adjusters are here to help you review your insurance coverage, develop a claim management strategy, and ensure that your Proof of Loss form is completed and filed in a timely manner. Please don’t hesitate to contact us with questions concerning your property insurance claim.
Bruce Kabat Chief Operations Officer & Public Adjuster at Adjusters International
For more information or to speak to a public adjuster at Adjusters International Colorado/Texas, visit www.ai-colorado.com or call 1-800-441-6263. Further reading: